Posted 16 October 2023
St. Vincent de Paul is in dire need of volunteers to take calls
from neighbors in need requesting assistance with food,
clothing, household furnishings, and rent/utility assistance.
Minimum commitment is 4 hours monthly. Computer
access required. If interested, contact Pat Rapp,
[email protected] or 317-796-7790.
Posted 4 October 2023
We are in short supply of twin-sized sheets and blankets for our Dream a Little Dream mattress program. Learn more about the program https://www.svdpindy.org/dreams/.
If you are able to donate new or gently used linens, we’d welcome the donations. Drop them off at our Distribution Center (1201 E. Maryland St.) Monday - Friday 10 am - 4 pm. or Saturday 10 am - 3 pm or at one of the blue SVdP bins around the city https://www.svdpindy.org/i-want-to-help/find-a-clothing-bin/. Twin size is our critical need right now, but other sizes are also welcome.
Consider hosting a linen drive with your church, work or community group. Let’s show our neighbors how much we care. Thank you for your support.
Society of St. Vincent de Paul
Inspired by Gospel values, the Society of St Vincent dePaul, a Catholic lay organization, leads women and men to join together to grow spiritually by offering person-to-person service to those who are needy and suffering in the tradition of its founder, Blessed Frederic Ozanam, and patron, St. Vincent dePaul.
As a reflection of the whole family of God, members, who are known as Vincentians, are drawn from every ethic and cultural background, age group, and economic level. Vincentians are united in an international society of charity by their spirit of poverty, humility and sharing, which is nourished by prayer and reflection, mutually supportive gatherings and adherence to a basic Rule.
Organized locally Vincentians witness God’s love by embracing all works of charity and justice. The Society collaborates with other people of good will in relieving need and addressing its causes, making no distinction in those served because, in them Vincentians see the face of Christ. (Manual of the Society of St. Vincent dePaul in the US, p.1)
St. Mary’s SVdP Conference
The St. Mary’s SVdP Conference is made up of parishioners who volunteer in the following capacities:
1) work at the Warehouse (located 1201 E. Maryland Street) from 2 to 4 hours Monday through Thursday sorting donations for distribution to clients on Saturdays
2) work at the Warehouse one Saturday every 4-6 weeks between 7:45 am and 12:00 pm assisting clients who are shopping for furniture or household items and clothes
3) deliver food to homebound clients every other Wednesday in two-person teams. Normally takes about one hour and deliveries can be made anytime on Wednesday to downtown neighbors
4) make home visits with another conference member to clients in need of items from the warehouse. Provide needed paperwork to client normally within a week of notification. Volunteer schedules the home visits based on everyone’s schedule availability. Visits last about 20 minutes
5) volunteer at SVdP Food Pantry (located 3001 E. 30th Street) on Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. to assist clients or restock shelves
Additional volunteer opportunities can be found on the St. Vincent de Paul Indianapolis website, www.svdpindy.org.
Please prayerfully consider helping in one or several of these areas as more volunteers are needed to meet the ongoing needs. We welcome you to join the St. Mary SVdP Conference which meets approximately 6 times a year to learn more about the Society and how you can join in assisting our downtown neighbors.
Please call Eva Daily –370-2436 or Teresa Harvey – 631-5470 for additional information or click here please print this form and place it in the collection basket to obtain more information.